"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Thanks To My California Brethren

I had the singular honor of speaking to about 100 brethren on Friday night at the Henry Wilson Coil Masonic Museum in San Francisco. Alice and I had an incredible weekend in San Francisco, and I owe a huge note of thanks to Worshipful Brother Adam Kendall. It was a great opportunity to meet so many brethren I have only known electronically, and make new friends as well. And many, many thanks to the brethren of the Southern California Research Lodge for all they have done to promote Freemasons For Dummies and Solomon's Builders.

We had great fun with Margo and John Heisner at the Grand Master's banquet. It was also especially fun to at last meet Brother Andrew Horn, whose work I have long admired; the boundlessly enthusiastic Brother Manny Blanco, with his lady Ruth; Brother "Sarastro"; and of course the brethren with whom we shared a pint or two at Zeki's – Adam, Brent, Chris, Ken, and others far too numerous to mention.

But the most humbling experiences of the whole weekend came from the many young brothers who stopped me to say that Freemasons For Dummies had influenced them to become Masons. That is perhaps the greatest compliment anyone has ever paid me, and I cannot begin to express those emotions. My deepest thanks to all of the brethren in California for the incredible gift of this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Does everybody in North America know Bro. Manny? He was a regular on alt.freemasonry and soc.org.freemasonry, the Usenet groups that I hung out on back when I first started investigating the fraternity. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

    Interestingly, everybody I've talked to tells me that he's the same way in person as he is on the internet or the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as an update, California voted against one day classes; reduced the number of members required to start a new lodge down to 15; set their per capita at $31; reaffirmed the Grand Master's position outlawing membership in The Snakes; and did NOT reduce the 5/6 majority to 3/4 for adopting new legislation.

    I understand there were more than 1.100 attendees representing around 330 lodges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, it was a great joy to hear you speak in conjunction with the Initiated Eye exhibit. It was also a lot of fun talking with you afterwards about a great many things. I look forward to speaking with you again in the future.

    RickB
    Old West Lodge 813
    www.goldenstatemasons.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bro. Chris,
    nice to meet you too!! I nejoyed your chat. It sure was great to have so many cool bros around at the meeting and seems to me there's still a strong spirit of Masonry continuing into the new age.

    thanks for your work for the craft.

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased you and Alice had a great time. It was so good to see you again, my brother!

    Your talk that Friday evening was superb. You're always welcome to come out here for another visit, my friend. The beer is on me.

    S. & F.,
    Adam K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, we didn't vote against the one day class. That was last year.

    AK

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.