"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bloomsday and South Dakota


Ulysses and James Joyce fans, it's Bloomsday. The action of Joyce's 1922 novel all takes place on June 16th, and the Irish and literary folks alike have embraced this as Leopold Bloom Day. In Dublin, enthusiasts reenact Bloom's activities as described in the book.

According to one account,

At lunchtime it's traditional to stop off for a glass of burgundy and a Gorgonzola sandwich at Davy Byrne's Pub on Duke Street, just as Bloom did. In the afternoon the Ormond Hotel is the spot for an afternoon pint, where Bloom was tempted by the barmaids in the Sirens chapter.


The fictional Bloom, by the way, was a Freemason.

The book was notoriously banned in the US for its graphic content. Oddly, it was first published in Paris by Shakespeare and Company. I was just standing in their store a month ago.

I have to say that listening to Garrison Keillor read "Mary Bloom's Soliloquy" on NPR's Writer's Almanac tonight ("I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes") was creepier than a backrub from grandma.

We're leaving for the Grand Lodge of South Dakota meeting in Sioux Falls. Looking forward to being there! I'll be speaking to their Lodge of Research on Friday afternoon at 4:00.

2 comments:

  1. And you've almost missed World Sauntering Day, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...creepier than a backrub from grandma." Brilliant, and quite apt. Any number of fine actresses I sure would have done a much sweeter job.

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.